Thursday, December 28, 2017

St. Francis of Assissi Prayer

 today is the feast day of St. Francis of Assissi

On my way to a staff meeting at church today, I was listening to a David Haas CD that I had recently purchased.   The St. Francis of Assissi prayer was just finishing up as I pulled into my parking spot, and I felt that glorious peace just filling me up.  Then Fr. John chose that prayer as the opening prayer today, and finally we finished with St. Francis' prayer yet one more time.  Hmmmm...me  thinks God was trying to tell me something!

I call these times 'God-incidences.'





The line "to be understood as to understand" particularly resonates with me today.  I have been thinking about a particular person, and was feeling hurt that she doesn't understand, or seem to care to understand, how I feel about a certain situation.   I realize that I have not taken the time, or effort, to truly listen and understand how she feels, and her own particular set of circumstances, either.   I think I've got it now, God!  You don't have to hit me over the head...well, yes, I guess you do.  Thank you.

It reminds me of a blog post I had posted earlier last week.  I posted a picture of a card I had made, and the verse on the card said "God knows, and will comfort you."  Someone commented on my post, saying, "When I first read the verse on your lovely card, I thought it said 'God knows, and will confront you.' We got a chuckle out of that!   While God may not have literally hit me over the head, he sure got my attention this morning when he 'confronted' me.

What a loving, involved, and truly compassionate God we serve.  My choice to listen to that CD this morning, and Fr. John's choice to use St. Francis's prayers today....coincidence?  No, not at all....God is in the details!  

I invite you to read that prayer again today, perhaps before retiring tonight.  Really listen as God comforts and/or confronts you.

You Tube of Ryan Cayabyab singing Prayer of St. Francis



No comments:

Post a Comment