Sunday, September 16, 2018

Bible Journal - Mark 8:27-35

"Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny 
themselves and take up their cross and follow me.  
For whoever wants to save their life will lose it 
but whoever loses their life for me and for the 
gospel will save it."    
Mark 8:34-35

I chose to journal today's gospel reading from church this morning.  The reading was replete with of nuggets of wisdom and life lessons, so I decided to focus on verses 34 and 35.


Give control of my life and submit my entire being to God.  Sounds easy?  It should be, right?

Yet, when I think about it, Jesus calls me to deny myself - EVERY DAY.  

To die to my desires, dreams, hopes and fears - EVERY DAY. 

To pick up my cross and follow Him - EVERY DAY.  

Wow...that's a lot of denying and submitting!  Yet, if we truly trust Him, and want to be with Him in eternity, it is what He calls us to do.  

I did due diligence with my study of these verses today.  I understand the reasons, and the rewards, of denying my own ways and following Jesus.  What I was searching for was HOW to do this.  
The physical and emotional part of my being is weak.  I want to think, reason, and act with my spiritual side, and God knows I try, but my human tendancies get in the way more often than I care to admit.   I'm sure I'm not alone in this.  So, how do we make our lives more lives of service to God, and less about the 'I wants?'

Jesus taught by example.  He lived a selfless life of service to others, and followed His father's will.  Here are some thoughts I came up with to help me stay on track.   
  • Jesus prayed, often alone, sometimes with others.  Prayer kept Him close to the Father.   Prayer is a gift God gives us to keep us close to Him - it is our life-line.
  • Faith, commitment, and daily devotion to God's will and purpose for my life.  Jesus spent time with His Father.  He sought God's will in His actions and plans.  Do we spend time with God, and seek His will for us daily?  Do we ask Him to place us where He wants us each day, and to open us to His plan?
  • Commitment.  Taking up our cross is an intentional act.  We must purposefully choose to give our time, talents, and resources to God.  Each day!
  • Jesus promises to be with us.  He wants us to take His yoke upon our shoulders, and trust Him to give us rest.   His Holy Spirit is always 'on call' to lead and guide us.
  • Jesus offered a glorified life, and eternity, at the end of the journey.  An eternity with God!  Enough said.
So, yes, it may be difficult to follow Jesus.  But, if we trust Him, we will follow Him.  He will place His anointing on us.

God bless,
 

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Lyndia, what a marvelous post! I agree with everything you posted and am so proud of you for your words. We believers need encouragement daily, and your words are just that. Prayer is one thing that controls my life. I tend to pray throughout each day, seeking His will. Oh, how I love Jesus Christ! Hugs, dear lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful Bible journal page! As I sit with my morning coffee planning "my" day I realize I should be opening my eyes as I take each step ... Looking for "God's plan for my day!" Just walk forward with spiritual eyes wide open. The miracles I could see for others today are endless. I am guaranteed that I will eat dinner with more faith than I had at the breakfast table!

    ReplyDelete