Monday, March 26, 2018

Many Seeds

"Very truly I tell you, 
unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground 
and dies, it remains a single seed. 
But if it dies, it produces many seeds." 
                                                      John 12:24
In my Bible journaling page today, I drew the wheat with the cross behind it, and the little sprouting wheat seed at the foot of the cross.  My intention was to create a visual reminder of the supreme sacrifice Jesus made for me; for us.  Jesus is the seed, the cross represents His death (the seed dies).  The sprouting seed at the foot of the cross represents the fruit resulting from the fallen seed's death, reaching deep into the ground, and opening to new life (resurrection) to produce many new seeds.  The stalk of wheat contains the many seeds (us).

In my study, I learned some interesting facts about wheat.  Two bushels of wheat seeds produce 40 to 50 bushels of yield!  One grain of wheat yields eight or more heads, with over 40 seeds per head.  That's 320 new seeds from just one seed!  Impressive. 

Jesus wants us, you and me, to die daily to our sinful nature, which will cause new life to spring up in us.  But, often, we want to cling to our old life, don't we?  That old life needs to be threshed and buried.  We cannot get life, and we cannot give life, without a little bit of dying.  Jesus gave up His very life in obedience to the Father.  But the last word, the Easter message, is not the suffering, but the resurrection!

When arrogance and pride dies, humility arises.
When selfishness dies, generosity of spirit arises.
When a judgemental and critical spirit dies, love and acceptance arise.

I want to bring honor and glory to God.  With God's grace, and the Holy Spirit's help, I can do that by my obedience to Him.  By dying to my way, daily, and going the way He leads. 

God bless!
 



No comments:

Post a Comment